Top Roof Waterproofing Expert in Klang Valley, Malaysia
Top Roof Waterproofing Services at Affordable Rate
It is heartbreaking to imagine your home being damaged at all—let alone by something as simple as rainwater. You may be able to ignore minor leaks in your roof, but this can turn into a major problem later. Even if your building is well-designed and robustly built, it won’t last long if you don’t invest in proper roof waterproofing.
Here’s what our waterproofing process entails:
- The first step involves removing all dirt and debris using a water pressure jet. This is followed by applying the first layer of waterproof glue.
- Next, we apply waterproofing liquid to ensure every tiny hole that can’t be seen by the naked eye is sealed.
- The third layer is a mixture of waterproofing glue and cement, which serves as protection for the first two layers. It also helps to level out the surface to promote the efficient flow of water.
- Lastly, we apply sunscreen paint to enhance the protection of the layers below and protect your home from the detrimental heat from the sun. This ensures your home stays cool and can help reduce your utility bill.
Let's take an in-depth look at what roof waterproofing is all about.
Call Me Back
Why roof waterproofing?
If you’re wondering why roof waterproofing is important, here are some of the answers:
- Improved Roof Lifespan – With a waterproof membrane applied on your roof, you will have an extra layer of protection from decay, leaks, and wear. Moreover, the waterproof membrane reflects light, minimizing the effects of the hot sun on your roof. This helps to extend the longevity of your roof.
- Economical – Compared to an entire roof overhaul, roof waterproofing is a much cheaper solution for roof leaks, at least in the short-term. You also won't need to repair your waterproofed roof as frequently, and this minimizes your maintenance costs.
- Environment-Friendly – Waterproof membranes are effective in reflecting heat and sunlight. This will help you save on HVAC costs during the hotter seasons by upholding steady temperatures. Waterproofing also minimizes the humidity levels in your home while also preventing mould growth. You and your family will be comfortable and confident that you’re protected from potentially dangerous structural issues.
Steps before applying roof waterproofing
For best results, the following steps should be followed before the actual waterproofing process of a roof:
- Cleaning the surface – A proper cleaning of the roof surface is vital to remove grease, dust, paint, rust and other substances that may affect the proper adhesion of the waterproofing material.
- Examining the surface – Once the surface is clean, examine it carefully to ensure there are no elements that would cause water stagnation or undermine the effectiveness of the waterproofing layer. This task can be best done by an experienced waterproofing specialist such as our team at Roofing Man.
- Preparing the surfaces – Another important step before waterproofing is to prepare the surface depending on the waterproofing technique you’ll be using. You may need to consult a reputable roof waterproofing Malaysia contractor to advise you accordingly.
Steps To Waterproof a Roof
The steps to follow when waterproofing your roof will depend largely on the waterproofing method. There are two main types of waterproofing methods:
- Brush-applied coating
- Membrane application
Brush-applied coating encompasses two chemical components that come in a composite pack – a powder component, and a liquid component. You'll need to mix these components and then apply them on the surface using a paintbrush.
You'll generally apply 2 to 3 coats. However, it's advisable to consult a waterproofing specialist on proper application. While this technique is usually effective, it can sometimes fail due to the nature of the surface.
Membrane waterproofing, on the other hand, is the most popular waterproofing method in Malaysia. It is more effective and durable compared to brush applied coating. It is ideal for large roofs and old roofs where the surface is not strong enough to handle the thin layer of chemical coating.
There are two major types of waterproofing membrane and the process of applying them differ slightly:
- Bitumen based membrane – This waterproofing membrane typically delivers satisfactory results. To apply it, you will need to melt one side of the membrane and stick it on the surface. However, most homeowners don't like the fact that it is a tar-based substance that absorbs heat and so increases indoor temperatures.
- Acrylic-based membrane – This is one of the most innovative waterproofing membranes on the market today. It is applied with the help of adhesive, making it quite easy to implement.
How to Waterproof a Flat Roof
Unlike sloped roofs, water can’t slide off flat roofs. Fortunately, there is an effective solution to this problem. You can apply two layers of waterproofing membrane to protect the roof from water.
This membrane can also insulate the roof, minimizing heat loss from inside your house. Here are steps to follow to apply the membrane:
- Calculate the total surface area of your roof in square feet. Then head over to your local hardware store and purchase the amount of waterproofing membrane for your roof size.
- Using a pressure washer or broom, clean your roof thoroughly to eliminate all dust and dirt. Then, give the roof some time to dry before you apply the waterproofing material.
- Pour the membrane onto the roof and start spreading it with a paint roller. Consider beginning in one corner, working your way around the roof. Be sure to work your way back to your ladder rather than away from it to avoid stepping on your freshly applied coat.
Repeat the process until you have the entire roof covered. Give the coating at least 24 hours to dry before applying a second coat.
Of course, if all that sounds like too much work—give us a call. We'd be happy to take care of it for you.
Characteristics of the Membrane to Use
It is important to understand the characteristics of various waterproofing membranes. This will help you determine what type will suit your needs the best. Here are the common waterproofing membranes you would want to know about:
- Bituminous Waterproofing Membrane – This is the most common waterproofing membrane. It is composed of petroleum-based asphalt material and is exceptionally resistant to moisture penetration.
It comes in a liquid emulsion form, and you can apply it using a trowel and roller. The major setback of bituminous waterproofing membrane is that it has the potential of drying out over time, becoming brittle, and allowing moisture to pass through.
- Liquid Waterproofing Membrane – This type of waterproofing membrane is characterized by low VOC content, low odour, and easy application. Known to offer the most value of all waterproofing solutions, it is impermeable to hot and dry conditions. It doesn’t crack, crash, or shrink.
- Elastomeric Waterproofing Membrane – This membrane is commonly regarded as a lifetime waterproofing solution thanks to the fact that it can last for decades. It is impervious to chemicals, gases, and water. You can apply it using a paintbrush or a roller, and it doesn't require any reinforcement.
How much does it cost to waterproof a flat roof?
The cost of waterproofing a flat roof will depend on your location, the type of waterproofing method used, and the condition of your roof. Generally, you can pay as little as RM100 or as much as a RM3,000 or more. Our waterproofing contractor can assess your roof and advise you on the actual costs—we offer free cost estimates.
Contact Us Today
It is advisable to always work with an expert when it comes to waterproofing your roof. If you live in Klang Valley, Malaysia, you can benefit from Roofing Man waterproofing services. We are a premier provider of waterproofing services for both residential and commercial properties. Call us today for the best quality and reliable roof waterproofing.